Friday, September 06, 2013

Doug Collins KFXM - KMEN Update

A few people have asked about Doug Collins from KFXM and KMEN, so I contacted him and he responded with these emails and pictures.   Thank you, Doug!

Doug,

Always great to be remembered... My 6 1/2 years at KFXM were some of the best of my life... Retired now, and bored... I hear from Bruce Chandler and Ted Brown every once in a while... Received an update from Jim Zippo, who followed me at KFXM and later had the same shift (morning drive) as I had at KMEN.

Here's a photo update ... This was taken Thanksgiving afternoon of last year... I was aboard the Sapphire Princess on the last two days of my annual, (20+ years) cruise to Mexico around the holidays.

Feel free to give out my e-mail address to anyone who asks, unless they sell HerbaLife - Amway - or any MLM product or service.

Hope all is well... Please send me the link to your site... I've switched computers and lost a lot of contacts.


Doug,

I had a thought about some KFXM/KMEN trivia that came to my attention recently... Nobody probably gives a rats ass, but I thought you might find it interesting.

Jim Zippo got the morning drive shift at KFXM when I went to be PD/AM Drive at KMEN... Later, after several "warm bodies" served time working mornings for Ron Thompson @KMEN, Jim Zippo took over the chair. Jim and I were both considered for the contract to provide Disco Services for the lounge at the Holiday Inn in San Bernardino, the home of KFXM/KDUO-FM. I got the contract and provided those services for a year and a half.

Both our careers ran parallel for a time in the Inland Empire. But, to this date, I have never met Jim in person or talked to him on the phone. We recently exchanged some e-mails but that's been our only direct contact.

Here's a pic (Biz Card) with my real name and e-mail... Feel free to use it if you wish... This was taken in late 2011.

Doug

How did I come up withThe Name?

I figured out pretty quickly, back at KVCR at SBVC, that "Magnuson" wasn't a good "Professional" name... When people see it in print they can't pronounce it, they can't spell it when they hear it. they can't remember it... As a name to use on the radio it... it... how can I put it tactfuly... IT SUCKS!

Together with a group of friends, over beer, we decided it should be a one syllable first name and a two syllable last name... It should be easy to say, spell and remember... Afer a few more "brewski's" we agreed on DOUG COLLINS... So, you see... It was another ALCOHOL RELATED ACCIDENT!

Doug

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our webmaster has outdone himself. All hail the webmaster!

Anonymous said...

You might also remember Doug Collins as the voice on the commercials for the Super Shops aka San Bernardino Racing Equipment. There were other locations such as Lakewood, CO but I can't remember them now.

Anonymous said...

A real coup, Dougmaster, for bringing this historic scoop to the fore on your blogsite. And the narratives by Uncle Douggo fill in a lot of blank spots previously unknown to the general public.
Sure pleased to know Collins is alive and living somewhere around Anaheim, Azusa or Cucamonga!

Anonymous said...

Haven't heard the reference to
"uncle Douggo" from the previous poster in many decades!
Brings back memories of the
once-popular Uncle Douggo Fan Club or whatever named it went under.
Nice knowing that the machine-like sounding DJ is still with us.

Anonymous said...

Great of you to post the Doug info.
You both have the same first name
and initials, DC.
I kept reading trying to figure
out the Dougs.
I emailed him.

Anonymous said...

Collins??? After all this time, who the hell really cares?

Anonymous said...

A lot of us do.
Some of us worked directly with
DC. Reason to care? Yea he
influenced those of us who worked
there. DC wasn't always
right about doing things.
But I never saw an evil person
at all. Saw an ego. But who
in radio doesn't have one.
If you can't promote yourself,
you're dead.
THis is a site to remember our past, good or bad in some cases.
He was always good to me.

Anonymous said...

Just remembering how that ultra-insensitive ego of DC's really caused some career harm to "a lot of us". He is despised in some quarters for his arrogance and superficial personality in dealing unfairly with many of those around him at KFXM.

Anonymous said...

Now that Doug has found Doug, let's track down Charlie Walters!

Anonymous said...

Last word heard years ago: Charlie Walters was a paramedic driving ambulances in the Big Sur area???