Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Jay Milla Almost on KFXM Update

Back on September 24, 2009 I posted the September 22, 1971 KFXM survey, where it announced the coming of dj Jay Milla. Well Jay never made it to KFXM, and the station ended up with Bruce Chandler coming over from K/men.

The story everyone heard was that Jay Milla just never showed up. But...now, here's the rest of the story.

I heard from Jay Milla, and he had a different tale to tell. Jay (actual name:Bill Miller) was coming to KFXM from Charlotte, NC., and on his way he got into an auto accident in Tennessee. He called KFXM to let them know he would be a week or so late, and he did didn't get a very friendly response to his situation. After thinking it over, he called them back a few hours later to let them know he would not be joining KFXM. This decision opened the door for Bruce Chandler, Jay siad this surprised him that he had an indirect role in the direction Bruce's career took. Where would you have gone, BC if JM showed up?

Jay (Bill) stated he was always disappointed it didn't work out, but ended up at WKY in Oklahoma City for a few years.

For the complete story in his own words, see Jay (Bill Miller) Milla's comments on the September 24, 2009 posting.

Thank you Jay Milla for your comments!

4 comments:

Lord Darth Rageous said...

AIN'T IT AMAZING how Fate sometimes plays such a role in the lives of two different persons -- unknownst to each other at the time?!

just darn glad the events described by Bill worked out to an amiable conclusion for both Bill and Bruce C.

Anonymous said...

Re: behind the scenes story about Bill Miller aka "Jay Milla"...

Hey Bill, glad you're OK! Up until now, I knew nothing else other than you just didn't show up and the shift opened up again.

I actually didn't have a "plan B" when I decided to apply across the street at KFXM.

Since I was told I'd be cut loose at K/men on the day AFTER I was hired at KFXM, had KFXM not happened, I probably would have just sent out air checks to San Diego, Fresno and other So. Cal. or NEAR So. Cal. locations.

Since I grew up in the Inland Empire, I much rather have stayed local, but had I found myself out of a gig, which WOULD have happened, then I'd have been willing to relocate anywhere in California first, then, who knows??

Anonymous said...

Re: behind the scenes story about Bill Miller aka "Jay Milla"...

Hey Bill, glad you're OK! Up until now, I knew nothing else other than you just didn't show up and the shift opened up again.

I actually didn't have a "plan B" when I decided to apply across the street at KFXM.

Since I was told I'd be cut loose at K/men on the day AFTER I was hired at KFXM, had KFXM not happened, I probably would have just sent out air checks to San Diego, Fresno and other So. Cal. or NEAR So. Cal. locations.

Since I grew up in the Inland Empire, I much rather have stayed local, but had I found myself out of a gig, which WOULD have happened, then I'd have been willing to relocate anywhere in California first, then, who knows??

B.C.

PS: Bill/Jay....are you still in broadcasting????

Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry, that last comment got in twice for some reason Oops, sorry, that last comment got in twice for some reason :-)

PS: Actually it was "operator error"...I hit a key by mistake and thought the first one didn't make it in and resubmitted with the BC and PS included, but, with lightning fast speed, it DID!