Sunday, October 01, 2006

KOLA The New Kid In Town

In the late 1960s, early 1970s there was a new top 40 station in town. An FM station KOLA 99.9. It was an automated station. There were no DJs. Just music, commercials. I didn't really listen to the station very often. I did collect the surveys, when I could find them. The earlist I have August 12, 1970.
A monthlater they produced a survey very similar to th 1960s KHJ surveys. No DJs. They wouldn't have any until they became an oldies station. I'm not sure when that was. Was it the late 1970s, 1980s? On both KFXM and KMEN it was Make It With You-Bread and Aint No Mountain High Enough.
The number one songs these weeks were Signed, Sealed Delivered-Stevie Wonder and Aint No Mountain High Enough-Diana Ross

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sure I was a great fan of KMEN and KFXM in the 1960's but by 1970 I had a radio button for KOLA as a backup to KMET-FM, KLOS-FM, and KNX-FM. Over the years I guess KOLA has changed and so have I. In spite of it all when I am back in the Inland Empire I don't feel I've arrived these days until I've had a dose of KOLA. For me it's a radio identity with the IE that endures.

John from Fontana (back then)