Thursday, July 13, 2006

KFXM and K/MEN favorite DJs



Here is something for you to think about. I've talked to a few people about this subject, emailed back and forth to a few. Who were your favorite DJs? Your favorites from KFXM and from K/MEN, your favorites from the [50s(for KFXM)] 60's 70's 80's and [90s(for K/MEN)]

I have favorites for each, but I'm going to put my favorites with this qualification. They worked at both KFXM and K/MEN. I have to sit down and think about that, but my next posting will list my top five favorites that worked at both stations.

Feel free to contribute who you listened to, and your favorites, in whatever category you like.

4 comments:

William F. Earl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
William F. Earl said...

Let me come up with MY Top 5 faves at both stations...

K/MEN (not neccessarily in this order)
1. Andy West (George West)
2. Johnnie Darin
3. Chuck Christiansen
4. Jim Mitchell
5. Dean Webber

KFXM (not neccessarily in this order)
1. Rhett Walker
2. Al Anthony (aka "Casey Jones")
3. Don McCoy
4. "Conqueror" Dave Fransen
5. Jonny Bruce

How did I pick these particular guys? Fond memories of hearing them on the radio when my dad took me to the I.E. It was tough to come up with a list, because I've met so many of the jocks and so many have been kind to me and the, and as of today, I've met and liked as people. But as "air talents", coupled by nostalgia, I think these lists are "right on" as they could be.

BiLL E.
Rosemead CA
http://billearl.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

A gem of a KMEN program schedule, I don't recall every seeing one like it, but often I only got to a record department once a month in the early 1960's.

Two note worthy items on the KMEN schedule. Looks like each DJ was Monday to Saturday on a fixed schedule. By the mid 1960's I remember longer "blocks" on weekends, such as noon - 6 p.m. with the same DJ.

Looks like KMEN had a structured "news" function. By the mid 1960's I recall much of that faded. The DJ on from 6 - 9 p.m. often did the news the following three hours (sometimes on a tape cartridge!).

John from Fontana (back then)

Anonymous said...

For K/men
Chuck Clemans
Mark Denis
Brian Lord
Bill Watson
Johnny Darin
For KFXM
Rhett Walker
Barry Boyd
Dick Lyons
Brad Edwards
Gary Marshall