Monday, March 04, 2013

KFXM and K/men This Week In 1967 Johnny Darin Article

KFXM and K/men surveys in 1967.  Both feature Happy Together-The Turtles as the #1 song.   This is one of my favorite times for music.  Many songs on these surveys I really like.  Good stuff!
 
Couple of my favorites on the KFXM survey I Feel Free-Cream No No No No No-Scott McKenzie
Couple of myfavorites on the K/men survey Break On Through-Doors Yellow Balloon-Yellow Balloon
This is the one K/men survey from 1967 that I did not think existed, because I did not find a copy of it in 1967.   I had all the other ones, but the stores where I usually picked up my surveys did not have this one.   About 15 years ago I bought this from someone who lives in Canada.  Did this get pulled because of the pictures with the article?  Look closely, there is a KFXM survey on the K/men bulletin board.  The 2nd picture was partially blocked out, but the one on the cover was very obvious.    For this reason, this issue may be even rarer than the rest.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that Jocko, whatta cool cat he was, RRRRRRROAR!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dougwebmaster, yea I too agree
there was something special about
this time 1967. Something in
the air that made these songs
special. Sgt Pepper was just
months away too. And Summer of Love.
1967 was very special altogether.

Oh and thanks for the very clear
scans on these sheets. Well done.
Appreciate your work. Your dedication is overwhelming.

Anonymous said...

"And Summer of Love.
1967 was very special altogether."

Oh man, that's so heavy, it was a farout trip making it thru that psychedlic summer, yeah man...
This is how it all started for me:

What's there to live for?
Who needs the peace corps?
Think I'll just DROP OUT
I'll go to Frisco
Buy a wig & sleep
On Owsley's floor
Walked past the wig store
Danced at the Fillmore
I'm completely stoned
I'm hippy & I'm trippy
I'm a gypsy on my own
I'll stay a week & get the crabs &
Take a bus back home
I'm really just a phony
But forgive me
'Cause I'm stoned
Every town must have a place
Where phony hippies meet
Psychedelic dungeons
Popping up every street
GO TO SAN FRANCISCO!!!

Anonymous said...

1: Are those lyrics in a song?
I do not recall such.

2: Liked the Music Director story
on Johnny Darren. Even more, I notice he has the KFXM Tiger 40 tunesheet
posted on his wall. Funny they
didn't take it off before pic.

Anonymous said...

Those are song lyrics from a cut titled "Flower Punk" on the 1968 Mothers of Invention long-playing album "We're Only In It For The Money" on Verve Records.
No doubt you were too straight to have ventured ignobly into the domain of the master of "Hot Rats"!

Anonymous said...

"notice... the KFXM Tiger 40 tunesheet posted on [Kmen's] wall."

I think both the photographer and the magazine editor missed that little detail of the competition's pop sheet posted in the Kmen programming/music office!
But as the Dougmaster pointed out, perhaps after that issue was received from the printer, maybe they scrapped delivering the major portion (if not all) of that week's boo-boo edition to the record shops.

Anonymous said...

I just luv Dougie. He can be my master any time!

Anonymous said...

Hey you rediculous dude, this isn't a gay blog nor one for you BDSM types, so go whip yourself somewhere else and leave our website alone!!!!!
Sorry folks, I had to sound off about the previous poster.