Thursday, April 26, 2007

K/men Soundathon Combo-Part 2

K/men Soundathon Combo-Part 2
Continuing with the compilation of the 1967-1972 Kmen Top 300 Soundathons




119. California Girls-Beach Boys-So what are they trying to say? Are the Beach Boys singing that California Girls are the best, or that all the girls around the world are so good that they should qualify to be California Girls?

118. Bad Moon Rising-Creedence Clearwater Revival-One of my favorite groups, but this song gets so overplayed, I’m am tired of it.

117.Time Has Come Today-Chambers Brothers-I had a radio station copy of this record that was shorter, and had a strange twanging sound at the beginning of the song. It was on Columbia, so I guess the Chambers Brothers decided to rerecord it, and release a new version as a single.

116. Revolution-Beatles-In high school I won a contest. This single plus Fire-Crazy World of Arthur Brown single were the prizes.

115. Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In-Fifth Dimension-One of the three hits that originated from the play Hair

114. Can’t Help Falling In Love-Elvis Presley-A good song from one of Elvis’ 1960’s soundtracks.

113. See You In September-Happenings-This was always one of my favorites. Bye bye, so long farewell.

112. Spill The Wine-Eric Burdon & War-In 1970 this song was played here early summer. Our family took a trip to visit relatives in Wisconsin that summer. I took with me a copy of the KFXM weekly survey that listed it at #1. My cousin Bonnie, who was about my age saw the survey and had not heard the song. It was not being played there. She later wrote to me that she heard it and it was now her favorite. 37 years later, I wonder how it rates with her.

111. I Will-Beatles-A nice little Paul McCartney song from the “White” album

110. Born On The Bayou-Creedence Clearwater Revival-This is the flip side of Proud Mary. I like Bayou so much better, but of course Proud Mary will be much higher up the survey.

109. Get Back-Beatles-When I first heard this song, I actually thought if this isn’t the Beatles, then someone is doing a good job of imitating them. Well it was the Beatles doing the Beatles.

108. Eve Of Destruction-Barry McGuire-Over 40 years later, and this could be redone with similar problems, but with different people and locations.

107. Crimson & Clover-Tommy James & The Shondells-This was their biggest hit, and the second of their two #1 songs. The other was Hanky Panky

106. Scarborough Fair-Simon & Garfunkel-This is kind of a surprise. One of their best songs, but not one of their biggest hits.

105. Johnny Angel-Shelley Fabares-Early 60s song still popular. The actress from The Donna Reed Show and Coach

104. Turn Turn Turn-Byrds-Their only song on this top 129. Where’s Mr. Tamborine Man?

103. Like A Rolling Stone-Bob Dylan-I like this song. In recent years, the Rolling Stones recorded this song. No they did not change it to Like A Bob Dylan.

102. A Hard Days Night-Beatles-Great Beatles song, from a good movie.

101. Lonely Bull-Tijuana Brass-Herb Alpert’s first hit. I’m surprised it ended up this high. Although if I was doing the top 100, it would not have made it. There are 5 more instrumentals on the rest of the survey. And one of them is NOT Tequila!

No comments: